A study by the Romans lettings agency group has highlighted common issues cited by agents and landlords deducting funds from a tenant’s deposit
– 29 per cent of tenants have experienced a deduction due to broken chairs, tables, door handles and other items;
– 24 per cent of tenants have been penalised due to marks on the walls, this includes finger marks;
– 21 per cent had to compensate for carpet stains;
– 12 per cent have had a deduction for redecorating the property without the landlord’s consent;
– nine per cent have experienced a deduction for mould.
“Returning deposits can cause disputes between landlords and tenants, so it is important that a detailed inventory is drawn up at the start and a proper check in and check out process is followed. Using a professional lettings agent to deal with all these details reduces the risk of a dispute over the deposit when a tenant moves out” says Michael Cook, Romans lettings managing director.